Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Fine tuning my Ruger 10/22

Quote Originally Posted by cavedweller View Post
    Over here in the US there is the Appleseed Project. Which teaches rifle marksmanship in combination with American Revolution era history. Due to the cost of full bore battle rifles and ammo, most of the training takes place with 22's. Someone came up with the Liberty Training Rifle to mimic a battle rifle. I have been planning on setting up one of my rifles and attending the training. Was getting ready to order some TechSights here soon. I am thinking about getting these NoDak sights instead
    Well you just nailed the inspiration for this rifle right there.
    I have long admired the ethos of the Appleseed Project and have gathered all the info and videos I can find on the subject.
    I have even gone so far as to tell the organizers that if any of the instructors is coming to NZ they can stay and I'll take them hunting their choice of game in exchange for a course.
    If I make it to the States I'll be signing up for an Appleseed shoot.

Good on you for getting the NoDak Spud sight, I look forward to hearing how it works for you and seeing pics of your rifle.
    Funny thing, flash hiders are a no no here on semi autos, along with mags holding more than 15, free standing pistol grips and bayonet lugs.
    You can have those fun things with another license endorsement and a lot more money.
    And yet muzzle breaks and suppressors are super easy and cheap to get.

I have fitted mine with a blue Tuffer Buffer, slicked internals and trigger, Uncle Mikes sling studs, Talon 1 1/4" swivels and a genuine USGI web sling.

Get your SurvivalHQ Patches here

"That road less traveled is a toll road, and sometimes the charge is more expensive than we ever expected. Most of the time, it's a one way road. Make the decision, hope for the best, and start traveling. Carry lots of coins."
    "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind"
    Dr Seuss

On a patch of dirt between the ocean and the swamp
    The mail came with my parts. The sight parts from NoDak Spud and the flash hider from CNC Warrior. The machine work on the NoDak Spud parts is great. The sleeve of the front sight had 0.001" difference between the inner diameter and the Ruger sight base. Had to gently tap it into place. Even without the set screws I'd doubt that front sight would move. The movement in the rear sight apertures is also very tight. I do like the height of the sights. Never felt comfortable with my cheek weld when trying to get behind the Ruger sights. The NDS sights sit about 1/2" higher. These sights are right there in my line of sight when I bring the rifle into my shoulder. This rifle came stock with a threaded barrel. The threaded were a goofy 1/2"x20tpi. CNC Warrior had this flash hider fashioned after a Chinese type 84 AK flash hider in that thread. Ordered the flash hider just to finish off the "look".

Cheers!

Kevin

NoDak Spud 1.jpgNoDak Spud 2.jpgNoDak Spud 3.jpg

Your add ons make it look like a mini 14, Cavedweller.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.~Bill Hicks

Christchurch, the Shakin' City, New Zealand
    ^ What Jeff said haha.
    Not all who wander are lost

.308 Win, .357mag/.38spl, .12g, .22LR

Thanks for the compliments guys!

Just need to get it sighted in this weekend.

Damn that looks nice mate, the wood stock looks good on there.
    On a side note that thread pitch is the standard here, hard to find anything else on a .22

Oh and I didn't manage to get out for long last weekend, heavy rain on Friday, meetings all day Saturday and rain again Sunday, but it was light enough that I got out for a quick mag in the bush near home.
    That suppressor works real nice, was only just out of sight of the houses.
    Last edited by Te Hopo; 05-30-2012 at 06:20 AM.

"That road less traveled is a toll road, and sometimes the charge is more expensive than we ever expected. Most of the time, it's a one way road. Make the decision, hope for the best, and start traveling. Carry lots of coins."
    "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind"
    Dr Seuss

That is interesting your standard thread is 1/2x20. Most threaded barrels sold in the US are 1/2x28. Wondering if my rifle was originally built by Ruger to be sold down under. For what ever reason didn't get exported.

I just got back from my bi-monthly range outing. Had the second IDPA (International Defensive Pistol Association) club match for this month at Okeechobee Shooting Sports. Only bummer was the last shot of the last stage of the match my 1911/45 caliber stopped working. The sear broke in half and fell out the mag well after giving it a couple good shakes. Anyways.... after all the competitors had left a few buddies and I got out the rifles. I had my Remington 700 / 7mm Rem Mag, AR-15 and the 10/22 with the NoDak Spud sights. All of them needed to be sighted in or have their zeros confirmed. Took ten rounds to get the scope on the 7mm moved and hitting dead on. First five shot group with the AR was dead on. I figured my luck would end there. Having taken the NoDak sights out of the box and screwing them on, figured the point of aim would be off by a mile. So instead of paper targets, went for water bottles on the back stop. That way I could watch for the dirt splash to make the gross sight adjustments.

First shot, expecting it to be wide of the target To my surprise, was just a hair high and left. Didn't even monkey around with the sights. Just dropped my point of aim a touch and started racking of hits on the water bottle. Shot up 40 rounds, jumping the bottle all over the back stop. I was having some good fun. Next time out I'll worry about turning the couple clicks to make it just right.

I am rather impressed with these sights. Just want to say that I would recommend these to anyone that was interested in different sights for their 10/22. Thanks Te HoPo for putting me onto them.

Cheers!

Kevin

Thats awesome to hear Kevin, I'm glad you like them!

Well I am progressing on adapting my Techsights to mimic the NDS25, no pics though yet and I haven't been out shooting anymore due to the wet weather we've been getting.

Dr Seuss

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123