Thread: Open Sights for a Rossi M92

Christchurch, the Shakin' City, New Zealand

Open Sights for a Rossi M92

Hey guys, basically curious as to what sort of open sight options there are around for a Rossi M92?
    Figured one/some of you might know.

I'm kind of over my scout scope for it... I usually prefer to shoot with open sights, be it a peep or buckhorn.

Any suggestions for an easy to mount rear that will clear my suppressor? Doesn't sit too high, but just a consideration.

Cheers,
    Sean.
    Not all who wander are lost

.308 Win, .357mag/.38spl, .12g, .22LR

There is a tang peep you can get, very expensive though. There is an adapter that allows mounting of a weaver rail in place of the rear sight, it works okay with smaller sights (I had an aimpoint clone on mine for a while, very nice to use close range, bit harder for longer ranges though) , but found it lacked rigidity for the long eye relief scope I got (had to mill out an extra slot in the adapter too). I think there are ghost ring variants to replace the factory sights too, not 100% sure though, I think I got sticker shock though.

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Miller View Post
    There is a tang peep you can get, very expensive though. There is an adapter that allows mounting of a weaver rail in place of the rear sight, it works okay with smaller sights (I had an aimpoint clone on mine for a while, very nice to use close range, bit harder for longer ranges though) , but found it lacked rigidity for the long eye relief scope I got (had to mill out an extra slot in the adapter too). I think there are ghost ring variants to replace the factory sights too, not 100% sure though, I think I got sticker shock though.
    Figured I'd answer this one seeing as me and Sean have already discussed this subject at length.
    He already has that rail mounted with his LER scope on it, before that he had a compact red dot as well.

What I have suggested is some type of aperture sight such as a Williams or Skinner rear sight.
    Due to the suppressor it is going to have to be a custom fore sight guys.

Here's a picture of the exact rifle so you can see what Sean is working with:
    188534_1626861192682_1271125736_31335045_7107914_n.jpg

Get your SurvivalHQ Patches here

"That road less traveled is a toll road, and sometimes the charge is more expensive than we ever expected. Most of the time, it's a one way road. Make the decision, hope for the best, and start traveling. Carry lots of coins."
    "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind"
    Dr Seuss

Yeah, I was thinking last night, if I'm getting rid of the scope all together, what about a flip up AR15 style rear??? Should give enough height above bore for my needs?

Cheers,
    Sean.

*and it would mount straight on the rail.

http://www.xssights.com/index.php?nI...ghts&sID=rifle

Or I could use the actual sight intended for a Rossi M92... *facepalm*

I was thinking some type of AR flip sight also.

I think you may be better off staying with a red dot or scope though. You're not going to have a long sight radius with that gun. Something to consider.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.~Bill Hicks

Yeah, sight radius was a problem.
    Initially I had a plan for a double adapted picatinny rail, elongated with a front and rear flip up ar15 sights. Was gonna have a huge height above bore, be heavy, ruin my cheek weld, cost a bomb, and the sight radius was only gonna be like 6" MAX, LOL.

But the XS sight mounts so far back I need to remove my firing pin safety, so the sight radius should be far more than adequate.

Cheers,
    Sean.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Bowhunter View Post
    But the XS sight mounts so far back I need to remove my firing pin safety, so the sight radius should be far more than adequate.
    Sounds like a plan mate, they're the other set of sights I was trying to think of when we were chatting about this!

Get your SurvivalHQ Patches here

"That road less traveled is a toll road, and sometimes the charge is more expensive than we ever expected. Most of the time, it's a one way road. Make the decision, hope for the best, and start traveling. Carry lots of coins."
    "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind"
    Dr Seuss

Yeah bro, I figure I could get them high enough to clear the suppressor.
    If not, get longer bolts and some little blocks under them?

Cheers,
    Sean.