Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best movies

Mtnman Mike Guest
    Just wanted to make a thread about the best movies anyone has seen either this past year or anytime in the past.

Most of you probably know that I don't watch movies or tv or internet etc. from June to Nov. when I am camping, working, and Living on a remote mtn survival retreat.

I am and have been watching quite a few movies the past couple months though.

Guess I am tired of the net, surfing, posting etc. etc. as much as I have in the past, for various reasons which I might tell about someday before June 2012.

I have downloaded the movies to my laptop when I am in a library then watch them at night especially on weekends. Watching the best movies 2 or more times before deleting or putting them on a dvd.

I learned to download Free movies from Steve, who was one of the guys who camped on my mtn place last summer. He downloaded at least one movie from the Encampment library and watched it, sitting by my solar panels last July. Thanks Steve for introducing me to the "Illegal" ways of watching Free movies. Using piratebay and a few other sites. I plan to Never go to a theater or pay or rent anymore movies as long as they are available for Free on the net.

Anyway, here is the list of most of the movies I have watched since mid Dec. 2011 and people can look up the titles on google or where ever if they also wish to see them. >

Atlas Shrugged Part 1 I think part 2 will be much better and more exciting especially if / when they show Galt's Gulch - I have read the book at least twice.

Hanna 2011 - which is different and fairly good "survival" movie with nice looking actors / actress although violent. I should find and download it with high definition when that is available.

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button - interesting, weird but I might watch it one more time. It is about a guy who was born old and gets younger and younger.

Limitless - a very interesting movie about a loser who takes a clear pill and uses 100% of his brain. It makes one think although I do not like the idea that a drug can make people invincible, extremely smart, rich, powerful etc.

I get from the movie that one should just do their best, use all of their brains and possibly become successful.

The Ultimate Gift - a very good movie that everyone should watch, especially any who are fairly young and don't know what to do with their life! It is not perfect since not too many can inherit a lot of $ but there are some good inspiring messages in this Ultimate Gift movie.

The Great Escape - one of my favorites. I had watched it probably 30 plus years ago but got more out of it watching it on the laptop. It shows how determined men can escape even an "unescapeable" prison camp. Using tunnels etc.

The Tunnel - a scary movie about tunnels underneath Sydney, Australia. Not sure if it was real until the end of the movie.

Real Steel - a good inspiring family movie. About a father and his long lost son who fail and succeed in Robot boxing. Men and women and those over 12 should really like this movie.

Conan the Barbarian - the new movie not the one with the Arnold although I should maybe watch that one also. R - rated for some nudity and lots of bloody violence. Not my favorite but IF society etc. etc. completely collapses maybe this movie will be more realistic.

Cowboys and Aliens - with Harrison Ford - as a tough old cowboy fighting "real" aliens - how could it go wrong?

City of Ember - another favorite and it is even G - rated. Probably more for kids but it is very interesting. Shows an underground city that has survived for over 200 years and two young teens find the way to the surface to create a new world - sounds and looks better than any review could tell about. I have watched it twice - 4 thumbs up!

The Omega Man - Charleton Heston in an early seventies flick. I think I watched this movie over 30 years ago but it was interesting anyway. More survival oriented than a lot of movies. Although somewhat not too real with the zombies or whatever they were the hero had to fight off constantly.

Sherlock Holmes - the two newest ones made a couple years ago and the newest one that might still be in theaters. Not like the old tv Sherlock Holmes though.

I probably should not tell about some other movies I have downloaded and watched.

But I have missed many such as the Dark Knight and the previous Batman one with Christian Bale as Batman - I didn't know Batman was a trained Ninja ! I think the 3rd movie in this dark batman series will come out this summer.

The Dark Knight was sort of realistic and pretty scary. The Joker was more realistic than other super hero movies. The Dark Knight was one more movie that makes me never want to live in a big city. Any city actually..

Another pretty good movie with Christian Bale is Terminator Salvation the last - so far - of the very long ongoing Terminator movies. Fairly scary about being in a cattle car knowing you would die - probably as was most of this dark, apocalyptic movie.

The Green Lantern ( 2011 ) was interesting although not too realistic. Its message about a strong will overcoming fear was good though.

Thor and the 2nd Ironman movie was ok. Lots of super hero movies last summer. I think the latest Avengers movie which will have many of those superheroes, will be out this summer which is another movie I will miss unless possibly downloading it from the Encampment, WY library.

Captain America - the First Avenger - WWII movie which seemed fairly realistic - more than most other super hero movies anyway.

Willow - an early 1988 that I had heard about 20 plus years ago but never watched. Similar to The Lord of the Rings but not quite as good. Finally have seen some movies that I have missed over the years but never wanted to rent or pay $ to watch.

Wall-E > an animated movie which I usually don't watch cartoon movies. But this one was great with subtle messages about destroying the Earth with humor even. I liked it when they quickly showed a sign about a new Big store coming soon on the Moon. And the fat blob people who were on the spaceship just existing but looks like it worked out by the end of the movie.

And Finally the movie Tremors which I have always wanted to watch but never did. I like Burt Gummer and his wife but they could have been smarter in some ways also. But is a movie on how Hollyweird thinks of survivalists / preppers. Some funny quite humorous scenes though.

Those are most of the movies I have watched since mid Dec. 2011 - maybe I will post my other favorite movies, such as good survival movies I have seen.

I think it is a sign of the times when there are so awful many disaster and super hero movies.

Take Shelter is a new movie about a guy trying to build a storm shelter out of a shipping container. His wife etc. think he is crazy and from the trailer it looks like he might really be crazy. I hope to download it but it seems to take a few days to download since few if any will seed it. The most popular movies download the quickest.

IF anyone has seen the Take Shelter movie or have comments on any movies please post. And IF anyone has more movies besides these that you think I and some others might like to watch please post them. Not sure If I will watch many more movies after June 1, 2012.

dragon Guest
    I remember watching the Omega Man a very long time ago, good movie.

Some critics say, I am Legend, was a more modern, remake of that movie.

just watched a movie the other night called, Fair Game, based on a true story about the truth, false intel and how it was manipulated to take us to war in Iraq.

Survivor, a UK series based on global pandemic, initially some survivors band together in the urban scenario before moving into the rural areas of the UK. Good series on group oriented dynamics and interaction.

Maine Guest
    I actually love cinema but rarely...and I mean rarely (like once in the past 3 years maybe) go to the movies. I keep track of what is coming out and always say I'll go see it but never do (much like getting that Mosin eh Jeff?). What I do watch are the old Russian movies which I either download or see on Netflix.

Trent Rock Guest
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_dystopian_films

Last night I watched, The Day After Tommorow

Tonight, it's Children of Men and Tommorrow When The War Began

Mtnman Mike Guest
    Thanks for the titles of more movies for me to watch. Maybe some others out there might also want to download and watch the movies we tell about in this thread.

I have watched The Day After Tomorrow movie twice when it was on TV a few years ago. It was interesting but not too realistic. I liked how some survived by burning books - mainly Law books - in the huge NY library.

I might download Children of Men but it doesn't sound like exactly my kind of movie but if nothing else to watch I probably will watch it.

I did finally download the Steven Spielberg new movie War Horses Hope it is as good as it is said to be.

I also downloaded and watched the newest Mission Impossible movie which was ok. Probably I would have liked it better without Tom Cruise in it.

Another movie I saw over a month ago was the Watchmen which was interesting and about some interesting history with Nixon still president in 1985. And about nuclear war etc. etc. It was R rated but not too bad of a movie. Not my favorite though.

Some of my most favorite movies and that I must include in the Best Movies thread are:

Jeremiah Johnson

Snow Walker

The Edge

The 1983 "Day After" movie which helped inspire and motivate me to build a bunker / storm / fallout shelter since the scenes in that movie were pretty bad showing many dying of radiation poisoning. Seemed like most did not survive in that movie, which was also was a quite depressing movie. But it should be watched if any wish to be more motivated to build some kind of fallout shelter / bunker.

There are quite a few other movies I could tell about such as "The Survivors" with Robin Williams and Walter Matthau which was the very funniest survival type movie I have ever seen. Maybe I will list more movies later.

Hope some others will also list some of the best movies they have seen. Even if they are not survival related.

Maine Guest
    Great list and some good movies Mike.

I gravitate towards the old Russian films but I also liked:

Moon (UK made 2009: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1182345/)

the original Solaris (Russian made 1972: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069293/)

Risk Guest
    Some good movies there. Some of my favourites are.

Requiem for a Dream The drug-induced utopias of four Coney Island individuals are shattered when their addictions become stronger.

Fight Club An office employee and a soap salesman build a global organization to help vent male aggression.

Trainspotting Renton, deeply immersed in the Edinburgh drug scene, tries to clean up and get out, despite the allure of the drugs and influence of friends.

Children of Men (Had to say it again) In 2027, in a chaotic world in which humans can no longer procreate, a former activist agrees to help transport a miraculously pregnant woman to a sanctuary at sea, where her child's birth may help scientists save the future of humankind.

City of God Two boys growing up in a violent neighborhood of Rio de Janeiro take different paths: one becomes a photographer, the other a drug dealer. (Need subtitles) Brazil

The Wave A high school teacher's unusual experiment to demonstrate to his students what life is like under a dictatorship spins horribly out of control when he forms a social unit with a life of its own. (Need subtitles) Germany

The Shawshank Redemption Two imprisoned men bond over a number of years, finding solace and eventual redemption through acts of common decency.

Brave New World In a futuristic totalitarian society, people have no control of their lives and/or destiny.

2001 A Space Odyssey Mankind finds a mysterious, obviously artificial, artifact buried on the moon and, with the intelligent computer HAL, sets off on a quest.

Das Experement The movie is based on the infamous "Stanford Prison Experiment" conducted in 1971. A makeshift prison is set up in a research lab, complete with cells, bars and surveillance cameras. For two weeks 20 male participants are hired to play prisoners and guards. The 'prisoners' are locked up and have to follow seemingly mild rules, and the 'guards' are told simply to retain order without using physical violence. Everybody is free to quit at any time, thereby forfeiting payment. In the beginning the mood between both groups is insecure and rather emphatic. But soon quarrels arise and the wardens employ ever more drastic sanctions to confirm their authority. (Needs subtitles) Germany

Once Upon a Time in America A former Prohibition-era Jewish gangster returns to Brooklyn over 30 years later, where he once again must confront the ghosts and regrets of his old life.

Black Swan A ballet dancer wins the lead in "Swan Lake" and is perfect for the role of the delicate White Swan - Princess Odette - but slowly loses her mind as she becomes more and more like Odile, the Black Swan. (Don't laugh at me )

Starship Troopers Humans of a fascistic, militaristic future do battle with giant alien bugs in a fight for survival.

Lord of War An arms dealer confronts the morality of his work as he is being chased by an Interpol agent.

Trent Rock Guest
    The Day After Tommorow was too Hollywood

I give it a 6.3

Children of Men was pretty good

I like the dark, urban feel

I give it 7.9

Tommorrow When The War Began was an Australian version of Red Dawn

It was decent

Had a few hot girls in it too!!! +++++++++++++

I give it 7.4

I've watched about 15 minutes of A Boy and His Dog

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gu9fESAlGc4[/media]

Don Johnson and a talking dog, who would have thunk!!???

I think he is a robot or something

I'm gonna watch the rest later....

I haven't seen On The Beach (2000)

The Kubrick film is one of his best....

Dloading Time of the Wolf and20 Years After, as I type

There was a movie I remember from the 70's

May have been a TV movie

The kids come home and the parents are just a pile of dust on the bed

I can't figure out what the name of the movie is [mad]

Mtnman Mike Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Trent Rock View Post
    The Day After Tommorow was too Hollywood

I give it a 6.3

Children of Men was pretty good

I like the dark, urban feel

I give it 7.9

Tommorrow When The War Began was an Australian version of Red Dawn

It was decent

Had a few hot girls in it too!!! +++++++++++++

I give it 7.4

I've watched about 15 minutes of A Boy and His Dog

[

I haven't seen On The Beach (2000)

The Kubrick film is one of his best....

Dloading Time of the Wolf and 20 Years After, as I type

There was a movie I remember from the 70's

May have been a TV movie

The kids come home and the parents are just a pile of dust on the bed

I can't figure out what the name of the movie is [mad]

I might watch Children of Men If I can ever get it downloaded when I go to a library or McDonald's since McDs has at least as high speed wifi as the library and is only 2 blocks from my city place.

I may like it but it might also be another movie to help inspire me to get out of the city permanently, even dislike cities more if that is possible.

Never heard of Tomorrow When the War Began but if I can find it and it can download in a few hours or less I will watch it. What is it with All of the Australian and New Zealand movies and actors for the past few years? Is making movies their main industry anymore? Which is ok for they can probably do better than Hollyweird. The Lord of the Rings movies proved that since they were made in NZ

I can barely remember A Boy and His Dog but it seemed not too exciting and a forgettable movie. Maybe I will watch it again after 25 years.

I might also watch On the Beach but I have heard that it is a propaganda movie that makes nuclear war seem unsurvivable and so many might just not even try to survive. There was an On the Beach movie made in 1959 which is the movie I am thinking of as seen in this google link >

https://www.google.c...lient=firefox-a

I did not like and I did not even watch many movies in the 1970's. I was in high school, graduating in 1976 in Sterling, Colorado and then college until 1980.

Then I did watch a lot of tv and movies in the eighties and nineties. When I worked at factories and other jobs, work, eating, watching tv etc. sleeping etc. I finally got motivated in 1987 bought my mtn land, paid it off in 1990 then worked some more. But again in 1999 I began to work for money only from Nov. to May or so and camp, work and Live on my mtn place from June to Nov. And I never watched tv or movies, internet or anything when in the mountains and on my mtn retreat.

I have watched quite a bit this winter and possibly will until late May. I hope to be sick of movies even before then and possibly will be good to go without watching again for another ten or more years....

Which might seem like I am joking but I really don't joke much for the past few months. And I plan to get even more serious and actually finish building on my mtn place by October 2012...

Underdude Guest
    Watched a couple of old favorites lately.....

SLC Punk - Fun movie, with a sad outcome though. About growing up and moving beyond a one-track mind. Of course I love Punk Rock music, an added bonus for me.

A River Runs Through It - One of the best I've ever seen, superb in every way. Add in some great fishing scenes, you get classic status. No matter what you may think of Brad Pitt personally, he's one of the finest actors around.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast