Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Happy NOW Jeff?

Maine Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Jeff View Post
    When you pick one up you can't help but marval at the history and robust design.

[s]And the sight can be set for 12 miles.....12 miles! (I know, effective range without optics about 500 yards)[/s]

EDITED: I am Incorrect: The ladder sight goes from 1 to 20 with each increment being 100 meters so 20=2000 meters, not 12 miles.

Now that you're hooked Paul, you can start collecting them and make yourself a nice coffee table from one of the crates.

That's a good idea! (I noticed the Sam Adams on top...............)

Bladed Guest
    (Psssst, Maine the ladder sight only goes to 750 meters) Get scope and you're good to 1,000 meters.

Maine Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Bladed View Post
    (Psssst, Maine the ladder sight only goes to 750 meters) Get scope and you're good to 1,000 meters.

(Psssst, Bladed. The ladder sight (mine) goes to 20. Each increment of 1 is 100 meters. That's 2000 meters at the 20 setting)

Don't think I'll get a scope for it. Perhaps if it is an original to the Great Patriotic War I might. Have to price them out.

Well......I just priced out some original scopes. Three times the cost of the Mosin. Might wait on that or get a (gasp) a repro.

I corrected my 12 miles mistake in the post above. (Turns red and shuffles feet)

Bladed Guest
    if it's marked to 20 then it's in Sazhens (the old russian measuring system, before they converted over to metric) 7 foot increments. Those Mosin marked like that are few and far between any more.

Maine Guest
    if it's marked to 20 then it's in Sazhens (the old russian measuring system, before they converted over to metric) 7 foot increments. Those Mosin marked like that are few and far between any more.

They had already switched over by 1934 which is the date of my rifle. I believe the switch to metric was done in 1931

Bladed Guest
    True but remember just because it was stamped1934 doesn't mean it was not made before then and sat in the factory, or someone swapped out the ladder on it. I know one mine it's marked in meters, but is ranged for out to 750 meters.

Maine Guest
    Might yours be the one swapped out? I don't know but everything I've read had the sights go to 20 when they switched to Metrics. The sights using the 'arshin' graduations were marked quite differently I believe.

http://7.62x54r.net/...nFeatures02.htm

Bladed Guest
    I used my ladder sight once, then I put an after market rail and scope on it. I could dig it out, but I'm lazy tonight...........................

Maine Guest
    I used my ladder sight once, then I put an after market rail and scope on it. I could dig it out, but I'm lazy tonight...........................

It's not worth arguing over Bladed. We both have a Mosin and now we own the world

Besides, I'm sure Jeff will mosey along at some point and come up with a third point of view just to confuse things

Bladed Guest
    Look at it this way, it has a longer and more legendary history than either the AK or AR, lol

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast